Ivy Robinson Weddings & Events ~ Charlotte, NC

Ivy Robinson, owner of Ivy Robinson Weddings & Events, has years of experience designing innovative, inspired events. Her stylish, modern approach to wedding and event design has made her one of the most sought-after event planners in the Southeast. We were introduced to Ivy long ago and her work has been featured in the pages of Weddings Unveiled and here on Completely Unveiled. You'll love her bright personality and fun approach to event planning and design. Working with her is like finding a new best friend - that is, a best friend who can make sure everything runs smoothly and looks fantastic on your wedding day! Read on to learn more about Ivy and the inspiration behind the Ivy Robinson Weddings & Events.

Ivy Robinson Weddings & Events is based in Charlotte, NC. To contact Ivy Robinson Weddings & Events, visit the company website by clicking here or call 704.347.3963.

Weddings Unveiled: How did you become an event designer?

Ivy Robinson: My life as an event designer and planner all happened by default! My background is in fashion merchandising and mass communication and I wanted to be the next Katie Couric. After interning at CNN and moving back to Raleigh to finish my senior year at NCSU, I was asked by a friend, who was the southeast event planner for Microsoft, to help run a company. That's when I learned that there were real jobs as event planners!

My parents are huge entertainers, therefore as a child, I was always helping with their parties and social events. By blending all of these experiences and elements together...it just happened!

WU: When and how did you begin Ivy Robinson Weddings & Events?

IR: I started IRW&E all the wrong way. I had no business plan, I quit a salary paying job and dove straight into starting my own company. I was young and adventurous! The first wedding I ever planned, I charged $300 dollars. You have to start somewhere right? That was 7 years ago in 2003.

WU: Tell us about how you work with engaged couples, whether as a team or individually.

IR: Every couple is different. Some of my clients live across the country, many are in different cities and I work with them in a way that best fits their schedule. I prefer to meet with the couple at least once together but sometimes it just doesn't work out. There are plenty of times that I haven't met the groom until the wedding weekend (and those grooms prefer it that way-they say, "Tell me where to be and what time.")

WU: Describe your wedding style.

IR: I personally like bold colors and strong contrasts and patterns, I always look for something different. I am not afraid to blend different styles--modern can co-exist with vintage, traditional can mingle with elements that are more funky and off-beat. I aim to create a completely unique visual statement that people won't forget.

WU: What inspires you?

IR: My clients inspire me! I truly enjoy getting to know each client--not just what they want, but also how they decorate their own homes, where they like to travel, what they love to wear. The more you discover, the better you can determine what they really like and what they truly desire in an event.

WU: How do you keep your ideas fresh?

IR: My wheels are always turning and I am always looking at visuals, whether it be window displays, decor magazines, interior design books, menus at restaurants, or through travel...I am constantly asking, how can I create that look or feel at a wedding and make it an experience?

WU: What was your favorite wedding and why?

IR: There is an element from every wedding that I love! That is a hard question because each of my clients is different - all of my weddings are different and they all have their unique touch that make them my favorite.

WU: What makes Ivy Robinson Weddings & Events different from other wedding and event designers?

IR: The IRW&E philosophy is to focus on quality over quantity when it comes to our events. I don't want to be the girl that said I did 35 weddings last year. Instead, I want to be the girl that says I had 12 killer events last year! This approach helps us focus more on our level of detail to each of our events and clients.

WU: What would be your ideal wedding assignment or dream wedding to design?

IR: Hmmmmm...I have had this ideal wedding assignment...it is when a client tells you what they like, what they don't like and want to show up and be a guest at their event because they trust you "get" them. I had one bride I met with two times and she said, honey, this is what you do for a living, just do it, I'll see you the week of the wedding. That is my ideal wedding assignment :)

WU: Tell us three things you can't live without.

IR: My cell phone, coffee and a daily dose of Days of Our Lives.

WU: What is the best advice anyone has ever given you?

IR: If you have found your passion and are doing what you love, you will never work another day of your life.

WU: What is the best advice you can give to an engaged couple?

IR: All engaged couples need to have fun! Don't sweat the small stuff...that's what we're here for. I always tell them to keep things in perspective; it is a wedding, a joyous occasion and if they are going to argue over the shade of pink or what the first dance song will be then they need to take a step back and realize why we are planning a wedding!

Images courtesy of Tamara Lackey Photography and Hess Photo.

































more

Popular Posts

Blog Archive