Monica Reid Photography ~ Hickory, NC

A husband and wife team, Monica and Brent of Monica Reid Photography, find the importance in relationships with their clients to be the reason behind much of their success. With the realization that every wedding is unique, they take every moment to get to know their clients so that on the day of the wedding they can tell their story through images. With a style that's modern and candid with a splash of traditional for good measure every moment is captured from the little private glances of the bride and groom to the family portraits, culminating into a storybook of images of your day. Read on to learn more about Monica and Brent of Hickory, NC based studio Monica Reid Photography and what inspires their work.

Monica Reid Photography is based in Hickory, NC working mostly in Charlotte, Blowing Rock, Raleigh, Boone and Lake Lure areas, but is available for photography all over NC and upstate SC upon request. To contact Monica Reid Photography, visit their website or call 828.244.0472.

Weddings Unveiled: Tell us a little bit about Monica Reid Photography.

Monica Reid: Monica Reid Photography is actually a team of two! My husband Brent and I shoot EVERY wedding together. I started it but he's definitely 50% of it now. We are parents of two AMAZING kids! Photography has been a love of mine since well forever, I remember my grandparents buying me a Polaroid then that 110 film camera, I was the girl who ALWAYS had a camera in my hand. Brent is very artistic and once he shot with me a few times, he as well LOVED being behind the camera. Brent is reserved and quiet, I'm HYPER, highly caffeinated and talk a mile a minute! We balance each other out and work very well together, it's just the way we flow.

WU: How did you become a wedding photographer?

MR: I NEVER thought I would love even LIKE shooting weddings, I LOVED when I did portrait work, working mainly with newborns and children.

I did engagement sessions loved those but honestly NEVER wanted to get "into weddings". Then back in the spring of 08 we did an engagement shoot for one of my best friends from high school and his fiance. They later asked me to do their wedding, at first I was like huh? what? umm NO! I can't mess up Brian and Shannon's wedding talk about NERVES, I mean I was comfortable with the camera but I'd never shot a wedding and this was a HUGE wedding, talk about PRESSURE! I have NO clue why Brian and Shannon trusted me, wanted me, asked me BUT I do know I'm FOREVER grateful to them both more than they will EVER know.

It was an immediate LOVE, a PASSION that I'd never felt for 'work' Yes I LOVED and still do LOVE portrait work but this was like a how you feel when you are falling in love, you can't WAIT to do it again, so much emotion, adrenaline, etc...honestly I can't even put it into words to this day I still feel that way before each wedding, it's an AMAZING feeling and a honor. Now I can't imagine NOT shooting weddings it's part of WHO I am.

WU: Digital or film or both? Why?

MR: We only shoot Digital! It's amazing how far digital has come! I think both are equally fabulous.

WU: Describe your wedding photography style.

MR: Hmm that is hard to point it down to one category, what about just REAL (editorial) while still being timeless, modern with just a touch of vintage flair. What I'm trying to say is my well OUR style is the best of all the styles, I think they are equally important and you can document the day using all of the above.

WU: Show us your favorite wedding image and tell us why it represents who you are as wedding photographers.

MR: This is the hardest question so far, my favorites are the ones that show tons of emotion, I think my favorite is when Kris saw Alisha in the FIRST LOOK. He was so touched and moved he just cried after looking at her in her dress, it was AMAZING to see that you could feel the love.

It's REALLY like we aren't there in these photos, we try be just watchers and document what is going on, it's HARD me for not to get emotional. It's the tears of joy, the laughter, the smiles, the glow!





WU: What inspires you?

MR: My Faith in God, My husband, My kids, LOVE!

WU: What inspires your photography?

MR: Magazines, Watching people, New Love, Old Love, My Friends, Pushing myself to make or try to make my next shoot even better than my last shoot, being around newly engaged people now that is exciting and inspiring!

WU: How do you keep your wedding photography fresh?

MR: That is pretty simple since all couples are different, I love to meet with them in a bridal consult then if they book us I want to REALLY get to know them and what makes THEM unique that helps me capture them how I envision they would want to be captured. I'd say 99% of my brides are NOT just a paycheck they really are friends and I do truly care about them, we are friends so of course I want to do the BEST job possible for them.

WU: Do you do non-wedding photography work? If so, how does it influence your wedding photography?

MR: Yes, we do portrait work. Hmm, well it's obviously lower pressure no timeline to follow, but still we are doing the same thing looking for the best light, best compositions, just trying to get the BEST shot we can get, I think it probably helps us with our creativity since there is less pressure to get it done on a timeline.

WU: What makes you different from other wedding photographers?

MR: Even Brent and I are different from each other and we work together so I think our personalities make us different, I think our couples (the majority of them) really like and enjoy being with us. Of course we have to get paid it's our JOB, but I think our brides also KNOW how much we care about them and we really do pour our heart and soul into their sessions. I get lots of thank you cards from my brides and their families, so it's ALL worth the long hours and all the time behind the computer when the bride is CRYING because she LOVES her photos so much, that is an amazing feeling that will push us to only get better.

WU: What would be your ideal wedding assignment?

MR: A wedding in a gorgeous vineyard somewhere with no humidity, lots of rustic vintage detail, no timeline, with a couple so in love they are only focused on each other.

WU: Tell us three things you can't live without.

MR: Just THREE?!?! Gosh this is hard, well besides the fact I wouldn't last more than a day on survivor I heard they only allow you to take 3 things..
OK.........God's love, My Family, My Camera and DIET SUNDROP
( I just cheated and put 4 but if I haven't gotten a F so far on this interview I'm letting that one slide I was tempted to put 5 and add cheesecake ;) )

WU: What is the best advice anyone has ever given you?

MR: LIVE what you LOVE!

Shoot ONLY in manual, don't rely on photoshop to "fix" it, don't over do the 'trends', learn how to see and work with the light, think OUTSIDE the box, Push yourself to shoot outside your comfort level and don't compare yourself to others.

WU: What is the best advice you can give to an engaged couple?

MR: Hire a Wedding Planner so you don't have to stress about ANYTHING the day of you wedding it really is over before you know it! I want you to ENJOY it all and take it all in while being relaxed and having fun. Interview more than one photographer, ask them LOTS of questions, see samples, ask if you can call past brides, and don't ONLY go on the price, if you hire a photographer solely on the cost remember it's the ONLY real thing left after the day and you have to look at for the rest of your life. Your marriage won't always be as happy as this day and you will to work on it everyday but it is SO very worth it!
























more

Popular Posts

Blog Archive