Juliet Elizabeth Photography ~ Charleston, SC

It's no secret how much we love Juliet Elizabeth Photography, her work as appeared on Completely Unveiled regularly in our Real Wedding features and graced the pages of our Fall 2010 issue of Weddings Unveiled. With a style that can be described as vintage-modern with a touch of nostalgia her work is instantly recognizable. From the light hearted moments to the intimate ones between a bride and groom, she has a knack for capturing the emotions of those she photographs, resulting in some of our favorite wedding images. Read on to learn more about Juliet and what inspires the talented lady behind the lens.

Juliet Elizabeth Photography is based in Charleston, SC. To contact Juliet Elizabeth Photography, visit her website or call 843.532.8472.

Weddings Unveiled: Tell us a bit about Juliet Elizabeth Photography.

Juliet Elizabeth:
Juliet Elizabeth combines her love for art, fashion, and old photographs, resulting in a unique and beautiful perspective on people and life. Her mission is to give couples and who hire her amazing photographs but also a great experience. If you ask her about her “clients,” she will most likely call them her “friends.”

Her work has been described as nostalgic, artistic, editorial and "vintage-modern."

WU: How did you become a wedding photographer?

JE: I had an on-location wedding hair business called Hair By Juliet. I was busy and enjoyed working for myself, being creative and working with people, but something was missing. I've always been the type of person that loves giving to others and making a difference somehow! Even though I loved the girls I worked with and made so many great friends, I was really feeling like I wanted to be in a profession where I did something more meaningful and lasting. About midway through owning this business my mom was battling cancer. Mom having cancer changed my perspective tremendously on the beauty industry, and I knew I needed to shift gears, but wasn't exactly sure how. I prayed for another creative outlet, for a distraction and another interest. I took up photography as a hobby and after time it just evolved without me knowing it! I never set out to do weddings! I shot mostly portraits, rehearsal dinners, parties, etc. In fact, I think I turned down 8 weddings before it finally hit me that this was my path. After a while I had to choose between businesses because it was way too hard to do both! Even though it was really difficult to give up a business I had worked so hard to build, I knew it was time to change. I needed to do something that I was passionate about and something that would allow me to really get to know others on a more personal level. I have always been an artist, so this made so much sense for me. I have never looked back.

WU: Digital or film or both? Why?

JE: A little of both! I love the convenience of digital for weddings. I can come home, upload, and see photos right away. I started with a film camera and I'm trying to finally mix the 2. I love the look of film! It has a feeling and look that is unique and beautiful, full of detail and life. I have though, learned to edit my digital images in a way that I can still get a dreamy, nostalgic feel!

WU: Describe your wedding photography style.

JE: I'd say it's a mix of vintage and nostalgic, editorial and documentary/photojournalism. Sometimes one of these elements overpowers the other, depending on the situation and couple. I realize that everyone is so different so I really try to get to know the couples I'm working with to give them something very special and unique to them. Photography is not a "one-size-fits-all." I really appreciate more “serious” portraiture, but I also love having fun with people too, and that can show in the images sometimes! I love to laugh! I try to mix it up and give a little of both.

WU: Show us a few of your favorite wedding images and tell us why they represent who you are as a wedding photographer.

JE: I have so many favorites! This one struck me when I got home to edit, just from the pretty light, the backdrop and romantic feel. I always love that hazy light when it's almost dusk.


I also love this portrait... Charlestowne Landing is so amazing anyway, and this bride had just the sweetest, most kind face and expression, so ethereal. She is such a beautiful person--So down to earth and real. I just look at it and think about how her children will feel one day when they see this.


WU: What inspires you?

JE: Kindness, people who genuinely care and go out of their way for others. Traveling, seeing new places and culture.

WU: What inspires your photography?

JE: People, just being themselves! When I help someone get past feeling awkward or uncomfortable in front of the camera, and the real person comes out, it just flows. Beautiful light, interesting backdrops, & color. Also, anything old! I love antiques...

WU: How do you keep your wedding photography fresh?

JE: I think what helps me most is to have down time. I have realized when you cram too much into your life and are too busy, you can't hear or see what is around you. I have a tendency to overwork, so I always strive to find a balance! When you are quiet and take a break you notice things you never did before. This helps me more than anything to be creative. Also, trying new things....I’m learning to sew, took voice lessons last year. I think music/art/photography are all tied together for me.

WU: Do you do non-wedding photography work? If so, how does it influence your wedding photography?

JE: Yes! I love doing fashion/editorial work. It absolutely affects how I view shooting portraits and engagement sessions.

WU: What makes you different from other wedding photographers?

JE: Tough question! I have no idea because I really don't pay alot of attention to what other people are doing. I just really try to shoot from my heart, always be myself and let people know I care about them. Instead of considering it "customer service," I really think of it more as a relationship I'm developing! I am just doing what I love, in a way that seems right to me. From the beginning I always said, "if people like my work they'll hire me, and if they don't like it they won't!" It's pretty simple. As an artist all you can do is put yourself and your work out there and you'll typically attract like-minded people. It's worked for me so far and I'm really thankful for that!

WU: What would be your ideal wedding assignment?

JE: I would love to shoot a wedding that someone is having in their grandmother's backyard, with the bride wearing a vintage gown maybe passed down in the family, the guests are all asked to dress in clothing they've found in a thrift store, hand made everything! I love weddings that are really personal and different!

WU: Tell us three things you can't live without.

JE: My husband, my family, my Bible.

WU: What is the best advice anyone has ever given you?

JE: "Never ever give up," and “make do.” (my mom)

WU: What is the best advice you can give to an engaged couple?

JE: Hire vendors you love! Especially your photographer.... they are with you ALL DAY LONG at your wedding. Find someone who's work you love and “connect” with, and that you feel comfortable around. People always look better when they are at ease with who’s taking their photo!



























more

Popular Posts

Blog Archive